A Soft Spot

/ Tuesday, October 4, 2011 /
                                                                             Polar Bear  ©  Scarlett Hooft Graafland
Last week I went to visit Huis Marseille in Amsterdam. The photo museum at present has the work of Scarlett Hooft Graafland on show, who is a sculptural landscape artist and photographer. Her photos are often surrealistic and draw you in with their soft colors while they touch on contemporary and environmental issues.

This specific image made a big impression on me when I saw it. The various shades of grey make it a very dramatic image, but those bare legs sticking out can't help but make you smile. Now, you may not be surprised to learn that that polar bear is Graafland herself. In an interview I read that it was -25°C (which is -13°F) at the time. Seem cold? Please. Forget about worrisome practicalities and insecurities about relevance for a while, and do as Scarlett Hooft Graafland does: "Sometimes I just get an idea and I think it's so great. And it just has to be made somehow."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2010 Resonant Photography, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger